RFR: 8162439: Runtime.Version.parse needs fast-path for major versions

Claes Redestad claes.redestad at oracle.com
Wed Jul 27 17:36:49 UTC 2016

On 07/25/2016 08:01 PM, Iris Clark wrote:
> Hi, Claes.
>
>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~redestad/8162439/webrev.01/
> I think that this change looks good.  We provide a shortcut for the common case where only the major version number is of interest without introducing a new API.

Thanks! Any reviewer want to give this the go-ahead?

> Note that this has a minor side-effect that invocations of the form Runtime.Version.parse("notANumber") will now throw NFE instead of IAE.  I don't think that this is a problem since NFE extends IAE and the order that the exceptions will be checked is intentionally unspecified.

Right, I considered the minor behavior difference and thought it would
be considered OK and in accordance with the specification, and
unproblematic since this API is as of yet unreleased.

As an aside: I do think specifying both NFE and IAE to be thrown is
suspicious when it's not perfectly clear when which one is to be
expected, since it invites to wrong code with strict dependencies on
which is currently thrown when, even though it's unspecified, which
would mean changing the implementation (like in this patch) would have
some possibility of messing with compatibility. I wonder if we should
simply specify IAE and drop NFE to allow greater flexibility for future
implementations?

/Claes