RFR: 6543126: Level.known can leak memory

Daniel Fuchs daniel.fuchs at oracle.com
Thu Jul 28 21:55:06 UTC 2016

On 28/07/16 21:31, James Perkins wrote:
> I just happened to take a glance at this and noticed the remove method
> on the KnownLevels doesn't quite look right.
> Using Optional.of(nameToLevels.get(mirroredLevel.name)).ifPresent((x) ->
> x.remove(this)); will produce an NPE if the level is not present. If the
> intention is that the levels may not be present in the list the
> Optional.ofNullable() should be used.

Thanks a lot for your keen eyes James!

(sigh!) Why would Optional.of()  throw a NPE for null?
But it does...

This wasn't caught by the test because remove() usually
follows a purge() and every call to purge() is synchronized,
so I don't think it could happen, technically - except possibly
for the call purge(KnownLevel). But you're right and the code
is wrong, of course.

ofNullable() it is!

best regards,

-- daniel