RFR: 8072727 - add variation of Stream.iterate() that's finite

Tagir F. Valeev amaembo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 07:47:47 UTC 2016

Here's the source code I wrote for this test:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tvaleev/patches/produce/ProduceTest.java

I also have somewhat weird idea of emitters (added to this test class
as well). Here's example:

public static IntEmitter collatzEmitter(int val) {
    return action -> {
        action.accept(val);
        return val == 1 ? null : collatzEmitter(val % 2 == 0 ? val / 2 : val * 3 + 1);
    };
}

Usage:

collatzEmitter(17).stream().forEach(System.out::println);

It does not need any special value as well as special handling of
starting value. No additional code for finishing is also necessary.
However such solution surely produces garbage (at least one lambda
instance per iteration), so the performance would degrade. However I
like it.

With best regards,
Tagir Valeev.

> [...]

SM>> call it from tryAdvance(). In fact, this is what I'd like to see in a
SM>> stream-source API, to make it easier to create such stream sources without
SM>> having to subclass AbstractSpliterator.

SM>> For (2) it's critical that the stream source have control over production of
SM>> values. Placing takeWhile() / takeWhileInclusive() downstream doesn't work,
SM>> since the stream machinery (particularly in parallel) may aggressively pull
SM>> elements from the source before they're presented to takeWhile().

SM>> For example, consider parsing int values from a Scanner into an IntStream, until
SM>> there are no more, leaving the scanner at a known state. Suppose there were an
SM>> iterate(Supplier<OptionalInt>) overload. Then something like this would work:

SM>>      Scanner sc = new Scanner("1 2 3 4 foo");
SM>>      IntStream.iterate(
SM>>              () -> sc.hasNextInt() ? OptionalInt.of(sc.nextInt())
SM>>                                    : OptionalInt.empty())
SM>>          .forEach(System.out::println);

SM>>      assert sc.hasNext();
SM>>      System.out.println(sc.next()); // prints "foo"

SM>> Boxing things into optionals is a bit cumbersome, and I'm also concerned about
SM>> the overhead. But it illustrates the point that the termination condition is
SM>> separate from the values that go into the stream. In particular there's no
SM>> "seed" value to which a termination condition can be applied. (And "iterate"
SM>> might not be the best name for this method, either.)

SM>> Oh well, I think this is turning into another RFE.

SM>> s'marks

SM>> On 2/16/16 9:48 PM, Tagir F. Valeev wrote:
>>> Hello, Stuart!
>>>
>>> Thank you for your comments.

>>> As Brian already noted, the most benefit of such signature is the
>>> resemblance to the good old for loop. Also it's good, because the
>>> lambdas don't need to maintain external mutable state in this case
>>> (the state is encapsulated in the current element). Most of your
>>> proposed examples, however, need to do it as they don't receive the
>>> existing state. Also I see no reason to create a method which is
>>> compatible with iterator::hasNext/iterator::next or even
>>> spliterator::tryAdvance. If you already have a spliterator, you can
>>> create a stream using StreamSupport.stream(spliterator, false). If you
>>> have an iterator, you can convert it to spliterator using
>>> Spliterators.spliterator[UnknownSize]. Well, this probably looks ugly,
>>> but more flexible and signals that some low-level stuff is performed.
>>>
>>> Supplier<Stream<T>> is definitely bad in terms of performance.
>>> Creating a new stream is not nearly free. To illustrate this I wrote a
>>> simple benchmark which compares .flatMapToInt(OptionalInt::stream)
>>> with Java8 way .filter(OptionalInt::isPresent).mapToInt(OptionalInt::getAsInt)
>>>
>>> Here's source code and full output:
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tvaleev/jmh/optionalstream/
>>>
>>> Benchmark                               (n)  Mode  Cnt      Score     Error  Units
>>> OptionalTest.testOptionalFilterGet       10  avgt   30      0,171 ±   0,011  us/op
>>> OptionalTest.testOptionalFilterGet     1000  avgt   30      6,295 ±   0,046  us/op
>>> OptionalTest.testOptionalFilterGet  1000000  avgt   30  12597,706 ±  69,214  us/op
>>> OptionalTest.testOptionalStream          10  avgt   30      0,330 ±   0,002  us/op
>>> OptionalTest.testOptionalStream        1000  avgt   30     27,552 ±   0,577  us/op