JDK 9 build 109 -> Lucene's Ant build works again; still missing Hotspot patches

Uwe Schindler uschindler at apache.org
Thu Mar 17 15:39:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

Unfortunately we found a bug in build 110 - not as bad as the Ant one, but the Gradle build system does no longer start! :(

The following fails:

C:\Users\Uwe Schindler\workspace-lucene\tester\src>cat Test.java
import java.lang.management.ManagementFactory;
import com.sun.management.HotSpotDiagnosticMXBean;

public final class Test {

 public static void main(String... args) throws Throwable {
   ManagementFactory.getPlatformMXBean(HotSpotDiagnosticMXBean.class);
 }

}

C:\Users\Uwe Schindler\workspace-lucene\tester\src>javac Test.java

C:\Users\Uwe Schindler\workspace-lucene\tester\src>java Test
Exception in thread "main" java.util.ServiceConfigurationError: sun.management.spi.PlatformMBeanProvider: Provider jdk.management.cmm.i
nternal.PlatformMBeanProviderImpl not found
       at java.util.ServiceLoader.fail(ServiceLoader.java:237)
       at java.util.ServiceLoader.access$300(ServiceLoader.java:183)
       at java.util.ServiceLoader$LazyIterator.nextService(ServiceLoader.java:370)
       at java.util.ServiceLoader$LazyIterator.next(ServiceLoader.java:402)
       at java.util.ServiceLoader$1.next(ServiceLoader.java:478)
       at java.lang.Iterable.forEach(Iterable.java:74)
       at java.lang.management.ManagementFactory$PlatformMBeanFinder.lambda$static$0(ManagementFactory.java:890)
       at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:428)
       at java.lang.management.ManagementFactory$PlatformMBeanFinder.<clinit>(ManagementFactory.java:886)
       at java.lang.management.ManagementFactory.getPlatformMXBean(ManagementFactory.java:649)
       at Test.main(Test.java:8)

Should I open an issue or can we do this through this mail?

This breaks several things:

- Grade fails to start
- One Lucene test, because it detects Oracle and 64 bits, but then finds out that we have no Hotspot bean
- The Lucene Test Runner cannot get the PID of a Process started
- Elasticsearch cannot find its own process ID because of this

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
uschindler at apache.org
ASF Member, Apache Lucene PMC / Committer
Bremen, Germany
http://lucene.apache.org/