Proposal for adding O_DIRECT support into JDK 9

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 11:21:37 UTC 2016

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 6:42 PM, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com>
wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On 5/11/2016 2:58 AM, Paul Sandoz wrote:
>
>> Hi Lucy,
>>
>> I am struggling to find an entirely satisfactory location to place a
>> method such as getPageSize, but java.lang.Runtime seems less worse than
>> other places :-)
>>

> This does not seem an appropriate method to expose in this form at the
> java.lang.Runtime level. If we want a public, platform agnostic API for
> exposing virtual memory page sizes (plural) then we should design such an
> API IMHO.

I absolutely agree. Different memory regions can have different page sizes
following different rules. The fact that in hotspot coding
os::vm_page_size() is used in many places as "the pagesize" gave us lots of
headaches in the AIX port, where we can have up to four different page
sizes for heap, stack, text and different instances of shared memory. I
consider the fact that unsafe.pageSize() exists sloppy API design. Even on
Linux we can have two page sizes within one process, or?

If we really need a generic "pageSize" API this should be designed to cover
a reasonable large array of OS breeds. IMHO a good generic API should allow
me to query, given a memory range, its page-size-composition, because
within a region of memory one may have different page sizes.

Thomas

David

> Paul.
>>
>> On 3 Nov 2016, at 12:49, Lu, Yingqi <yingqi.lu at intel.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Paul and Peter,
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for pointing this out. We did not know about it J
>>>
>>> We will modify the patch accordingly and will send it here for review.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lucy

>>> operations. With current version of the patch, user would be responsible