[9] RFR (XS): 8169000: Define reference reachability more precisely in java.lang.ref package

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 23:15:23 UTC 2016

Hi Zoltan,

On 11/16/2016 10:27 PM, David Holmes wrote:
> Peter has highlighted the risk with anything but the most minimal of
> changes - the more you say the more likely you are saying something
> that is incorrect. Reachability and the GC relationship to it is
> extremely complex and can't be summarised in a few words.
>
> I would go back to the original simple suggestion to just add "detected":
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~zmajo/8169000/webrev.00
>
> "If a registered reference is detected as unreachable itself, then it
> will never be enqueued."
>
> --
>
> That removes any expectation that you can determine whether or not it
> will be unreachable based on looking at the source code or reasoning
> about the bytecodes.

Yes, but it also gives very little helpful information to a programmer.

Why are we insisting in specifying when it is guaranteed for a Reference
object to *not* be enqueued. This is not very helpful.

A more helpful information for a programmer would be to specify when a
Reference object is guaranteed to *be* enqueued. Guarantee is given only
if the Reference object is kept strongly reachable. If it ceases to be
strongly reachable, it may never be enqueued, but it is not guaranteed
that it will not be enqueued either.

So this is still my favorite:

"If a registered reference ceases to be strongly reachable for any
period of time, it may become unreachable and never be enqueued. In
order to guarantee for a registered reference to be enqueued, it must be
kept strongly reachable at all times."

Regards, Peter