[concurrency-interest] Deprecate all java.util.concurrent.*FieldUpdater

Justin Sampson jsampson at guidewire.com
Wed Oct 5 14:39:10 UTC 2016

Deprecation is stronger than that -- it says "we're going to remove this, or we wish we could remove it because it's broken, so you'd better change your code a.s.a.p." -- e.g. Thread.stop(). My interpretation of Martin's comment is that using deprecation for things that aren't actually broken just means that people will live with lots of deprecation warnings in their code for years to come. This could be a perfect case for introducing a weaker alternative to deprecation, saying "here's something better that you should really be using for new code" -- e.g. ArrayList vs. Vector. I remember the Guava team talking about that a lot. Don't know if they ever implemented it.

Cheers,
Justin