RFR: 8168073: Speed up URI creation during module bootstrap

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Mon Oct 17 19:59:03 UTC 2016

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Alan Bateman <alan.bateman at oracle.com> wrote:
>

> On 17/10/2016 12:17, Claes Redestad wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> one partial cause for startup regressions due to jigsaw is related to creating
>> URIs for the location of each module.
>>
>> By providing a package-private constructor we can avoid the time to scan and
>> validate the URI, which takes a little time (executes ~80K bytecodes) but also
>> pushes various methods over compilation thresholds during early startup,
>> which more notably interferes with perceived startup.
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~redestad/8168073/webrev.01/
> This looks okay, I just wondering if JavaNetAccess should be renamed to JavaNetUriAccess to avoid it being used to access other classes in java.net. If renamed then I guess createUri could be renamed to create too.

I agree that JavaNetUriAccess is a better name for this create method, as the shared secret is specific to URI.

One thing to note is that Dave DeHaven has a patch being reviewed to add a getAccessControlContext(URLClassLoader u) method to get ACC of a given URLClassLoader.  I suppose your patch will be pushed soon.  Dave should adjust his patch to add JavaNetURLClassLoaderAccess interface.

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2016-October/044149.html

Mandy