RFR: jsr166 jdk9 integration wave 12

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Thu Oct 20 03:45:45 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Jonathan Bluett-Duncan <
jbluettduncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> By collections infrastructure, do you mean something like the collection
> testers in guava-testlib?
>
> If so, I agree that JUnit 5's dynamic tests look promising for
> implementing such an infrastructure. I admit I don't have all the context
> here, but would using guava-testlib in the meantime be a viable medium- or
> short-term solution? Or would its dependence on JUnit 3/4 make switching
> impractical? Or, perhaps, has development into CollectionTest gone so far
> that, for that reason instead, it would be impractical until switch, at
> least until something superior using e.g. JUnit 5's dynamic tests is made?

I'm embarrassed to say I'm not familiar enough with guava's testlib.  Guava
does have generic collection oriented tests, and even runs them on jdk
classes. (Someone on the jdk quality team should be running the guava tests
using development jdks!).  I'm not familiar enough with the tools to work
on this myself, but I encourage someone who is to do that.

I see that guava testlib does have:

TestsForQueuesInJavaUtil.java
TestsForSetsInJavaUtil.java
TestsForListsInJavaUtil.java
TestsForMapsInJavaUtil.java

and that the infrastructure there is vaguely similar to what I ended up
doing.  JDK version skew is a problem, because openjdk development is
focused on jdk9, while guava is still trying to digest jdk8.