RFR 8080225 FileInput/OutputStream/FileChannel cleanup should be improved

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 13:47:35 UTC 2017

This is a nice exercise in compatible migration from finalize() to
Cleaner. The compatibility would be even better with a little tweak to
the VM. Currently VM ignores empty finalize() method(s) and does not
register the instance for finalization if it has empty finalize() (just
return bytecode). There could be a special method-level runtime
annotation, say @IgnoreFinalize that would be used to annotate no-empty
finalize() methods and would have the same effect as empty method on the
VM behavior. XXXStream could then just annotate the finalize() and leave
it as is so that potential overriders of finalize() could call super.

Current approach (with AltFinalizer) is an approximation since it can
only call finalize() and close() in succession. If overridden finalize()
callse super.finalize() in the middle of the method, it may expect the
stream to be already closed for the rest of the method:

@Override
protected finalize() {
     ... pre-close logic
     super.finalize();
     ... post-close logic (may expect stream to be already closed)
}

...bust since super.close() is empty, the stream is not closed yet and
will be closed by AltFinalizer after this.finalize() returns.

I don't know what impact does such order have on the compatibility.
Probably not big.

Regards, Peter