[10] RFR 8193856 takeWhile produces incorrect result with elements produced by flatMap

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Wed Dec 20 23:03:51 UTC 2017

Hi Jonathan,

> On 20 Dec 2017, at 14:47, Jonathan Bluett-Duncan <jbluettduncan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> It seems that some clever Googler managed to find a workaround for aggressive `flatMap` operations in the form of a so-called `MoreStreams.flatten` operation, implemented in a side project called google/mug.

Thanks. MoreStreams.flatten “lowers” a stream of streams to a spliterator of spliterators which in turn is input as a new stream source, enabling a cancellation check + tryAdvance for any following short-circuit or terminal ops.

I have a solution in the works for flatMap based on sorted operation (which has to buffer all elements, sort ‘em, then push ‘em all downstream).

Paul.