Zip Extended Timestamp signedness changed in JDK9 but not JDK8

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Tue Jul 4 23:36:47 UTC 2017

There are two issues here.

(1) to fix/support the possible unix timestamp year 2038  issue when
that extra timestamp(s) is used;
(2) to backport the fix to 8u.

I would assume the direct trigger of "wasting a meaningful amount of
time ..." is (1) ?
Sure the root cause is we did not address year 2038 issue at first place
when we added the extra
timestamp support in jdk8. My apology :-)

Btw, the changeset Simon mentioned/sited actually does not fix the
issue. It actually will expose
the issue on year 2038 with the signed 32-bit int (it now follows the
specification, which says the
timestamp is an uint32). The real fix is the changeset for #8161942.

Sure, we can backport it if desired. My original assumption is that this
is something can wait, until
there is an escalation/real need ... we might have one now :-)

Sherman