JDK 9 RFR of JDK-8023897: Replace/update/rename executeAndCatch in various tests to assertThrows

Roger Riggs Roger.Riggs at Oracle.com
Tue May 2 14:21:03 UTC 2017

Hi Amy,

Yes, a good cleanup.

- EmptyNavigableMap.java in assertThrows(class, runnable, message) will be a
   bit awkward to debug since the stack trace of the real cause will be
buried in
   the cause of the new AssertionError thrown.

Without re-implementing the TestNG.expectThrows[1] method, I would be
more inclined
to print the message and then re-throw the exception.
Still not best, but doesn't require knowing to look in the exception
cause to find the
location of the original throw.

Ditto EmptyNavigableSet.java:72

The messages are useful when debugging to know the reason for the
exception without
having to reverse engineer the code.

- java/util/Map/Defaults.java:167  The  {}'s around the lambda value are
not necessary (like 166).

Thanks, Roger

[1]
https://github.com/cbeust/testng/blob/master/src/main/java/org/testng/Assert.java