Proposal: javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.clearInitialContextFactoryBuilder()

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed May 10 12:32:47 UTC 2017

On 08/05/2017 23:27, Andrew Guibert wrote:

> :
>
> I am not sure why the "no resetting" restriction is on the NamingManager
> API in the first place.  Is anyone aware why the API has this restriction?
> In any case, the solution outlined above seems rather messy (as it only
> solves the problem by mitigating a classloader leak), so I would like to
> propose the following addition to the NamingManager API:

I checked with one of the engineers that worked on the JNDI API a long
time ago and there doesn't seem to be any significant reason to disallow
it be changed.

Looking at it now then it might be simpler to change
setInitialContextFactoryBuilder to allow a new builder to be set rather
than introducing a clearXXX method. I can't imagine anything but tests
relying on IllegalStateException to be thrown if already set. A variant
to explore is setting the builder to a placeholder InitialContextFactory
rather than null.

So is your plan to proposal a patch and tests for this?

-Alan