RFR 9: 8180082 : Broken javadoc links

Roger Riggs Roger.Riggs at Oracle.com
Fri May 12 15:23:07 UTC 2017

Hi Magnus,

Webrev updated:
    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rriggs/webrev-broken-links-8180082/

On 5/12/2017 4:26 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
> On 2017-05-10 23:05, Brian Burkhalter wrote:
>> Hi Roger,
>>
>> Looks all right to me. I assume you will have already built the
>> actual docs and clicked through the updated links. Always a bit
>> painful …
>
> Roger,
>
> Did you test the actual links?
Well, linklint tries; though the output is a bit clouded by the 7105
missing named anchors
and it did not complain about the missing #4100.

> I found one needing updating:
>
> In src/java.base/share/classes/java/io/ObjectStreamClass.java,
> class.html#4100 should be updated to
> class.html#stream-unique-identifiers.
yes, fixed

> Also, the link in src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/String.java
> looks suspect. The text refers to Section 6.2 Stream Elements, but to
> get there the link should go to protocol.html#stream-elements. Instead
> it points to output.html, which is Section 2, Object Output Classes. I
> can't really tell which is correct, but my guess is that the text is
> correct and the link is not.
The current reference is to bullet 9 that describes procedurally how
serializationof String occurs.

The target you suggest in protocol.html describes the encoding and would
be ok too,
but for stability I'd leave it as is.

Is it ok to put in a <a id="java-lang-string-encoding"></a> anchor in
the output.md markdown
or what is the preferred markup?

Thanks, Roger