Getting a live view of environment variables (Gradle and JDK 9)

Cédric Champeau cedric.champeau at gmail.com
Tue May 16 17:08:01 UTC 2017

> Hi Cédric,
>
> we use Gradle a lot in our team (Hibernate) and all your efforts to
> make it faster are highly appreciated.
>
> I can assure you that during a normal day of work while we might
> rebuild a project a few hundred times, I'll rarely have to change
> environment variables.
>
> Obviously I don't represent all users, but as you said yourself the
> need to change environment variables is both something you have to
> support and something which is extremely rare.

So can't you simply keep the daemon around, as long as environment
> variables don't change?

That's one of the suggestions in the original email, but as you can see,
it's not uncommon to have environment variables mutated "behind you back",
even in a simple command line. Sometimes, it's as easy as having 2
different terminals open (which I think is far from being a rare case):
then you cannot share the same daemon instance, which is either very bad
for performance or memory usage. Why? Because the open terminal has some
specific variables (WINDOWID, ...).

> For the rare case in which environment variables have been mutated,
> you could trigger a full restart.
>
> As a second step, I should mention that on a typical workstation I
> might have multiple terminals open, each configured with a different
> environment and possibly working on a different project or different
> branch - or just testing on a different environment.
> It would be even nicer if one could have a different Gradle daemon
> instances running for each environment; incidentally this might have
> other benefits, like we often need to switch JDK build or even vendor.
> I'd be happy to be able to give them some name as identifier.

That's something we consider, but it's not the same use case at all (my
typical setup is pretty much the opposite: a lot of terminals open for the
same environment/build), so it has to be supported differently. I don't
think we should mix this in the game.