JDK 9 RFR of JDK-8074977: Constructor.getAnnotatedParameterTypes returns wrong value

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Sat May 20 21:30:58 UTC 2017

Hi Remi

On 05/20/2017 11:09 PM, Remi Forax wrote:
> Hi Joe,
> we had the same issue with ASM, we solve it without trying to detect every corner cases but by just comparing the number of parameter from the descriptor and the number of parameter (type?) annotations,
> if there are less annotations, we add fake annotations at the starts of the array [1].
>
> I don't remember the exact details but i'm pretty sure that at some point in the past ecj (the eclipse compiler) was generating more than one reference if you had an anonymous class inside an anonymous class.
>
> ASM reports a special fake annotation "Ljava/lang/Synthetic;" so users can see that this is a synthetic parameter but i don't think it's a good idea to do that in the reflection API, ASM is more low level.
>
> cheers,
> Rémi
>
> [1] http://websvn.ow2.org/filedetails.php?repname=asm&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fasm%2Fsrc%2Forg%2Fobjectweb%2Fasm%2FClassReader.java, in method readParameterAnnotations().
         // ... This work-around supposes that the synthetic parameters
are the first ones.
         int synthetics = Type.getArgumentTypes(context.desc).length - n;

Not always for local and anonymous classes. Captured values are appended
to the parameter list. Source-level parameters are therefore between the
outer instance and the captured values.

And if local or anonymous class is in the static context, there's no
outer instance parameter, just captured values which are appended.

Here's what I was trying to do but then I found that local and anonymous
classes never have STATIC modifier even if they are from static context:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-dev/8074977_ConstructorParameterAnnotations/webrev.01/

If there was a reliable way to determine whether a local or anonymous
class is from static context or not, then this could work for javac
generated code at least.

Regards, Peter

>>> https://blogs.oracle.com/darcy/nested,-inner,-member,-and-top-level-classes