RFR(m): 8177290 add copy factory methods for unmodifiable List, Set, Map

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Sun Sep 24 20:56:56 UTC 2017

On 23/09/2017 6:37 AM, Stuart Marks wrote:
> On 9/22/17 5:36 AM, Roger Riggs wrote:
>> BTW, I don't think many people are confused by 'immutable' collections
>> appearing
>> to be mutated because one of the objects in the collection is mutable.
>
> I'm sure *you* aren't confused by the issues. But I spend a lot of
> effort explaining these issues to the general public, so I think the
> change is worthwhile.

I agree with Roger. This seems to conflate immutability of the
collection with immutability of the elements in the collection. I don't
see a definition of mutability/immutability that would imply that an
immutable collection must have immutable elements. To me the notion of
mutability is for the collection itself - the group of objects contained
- not the objects themselves. Have I missed this definition of
"immutable" somewhere? Otherwise it might be clearer to explain that an
"immutable collection" may have different meanings to different people.

I also find the use of "As above" in this sentence:

"As above, an unmodifiable view collection is not necessarily immutable."

inappropriate, because "above" you are referring to the mutability of
the elements of the collection and in the current context you are
referring to the mutability of the collection itself. And this is quite
a different issue to the one "above".

Cheers,
David