RFR JDK-8185582, Update Zip implementation to use Cleaner, not finalizers

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 09:31:12 UTC 2017

Hi Sherman,

At first I checked the Deflater/Inflater changes. I'll come back with
ZipFile later.

I think the code is mostly correct, but I have a concern. If clean() is
invoked via Deflater.end(), then the Deflater instance is still alive
and synchronization is necessary as other threads might be concurrently
invoking other methods. If clean() is invoked via Cleaner thread, then
Deflater instance is already phantom reachable and no thread may be
accessing it or be in the middle of executing any of its instance
methods. How is this guaranteed? Critical Deflater methods synchronize
on the zsRef instance, so at least at the beginning of the synchronized
block, the Deflater instance is strongly reachable. Take for example the
following Deflater instance method:

  254     public void setDictionary(byte[] b, int off, int len) {
  255         if (b == null) {
  256             throw new NullPointerException();
  257         }
  258         if (off < 0 || len < 0 || off > b.length - len) {
  259             throw new ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException();
  260         }
  261         synchronized (zsRef) {
  262             ensureOpen();
  263             setDictionary(zsRef.address(), b, off, len);
  264         }
  265     }

Up to a point where 'this' is dereferenced to obtain the 'zsRef' value
(line 261), the Deflater instance is reachable. But after that, even
ensureOpen() may be inlined and 'this' is not needed any more. After
that point, obtaining zsRef.address() and calling setDictionaly on the
obtained address may be racing with Cleaner thread invoking
ZStreamRef.run():

   49     public void run() {
   50         long addr = address;
   51         address = 0;
   52         if (addr != 0) {
   53             end.accept(addr);
   54         }
   55     }

Possible program execution is therefore:

Thread1:

zsRef.address() - returning non-zero address

Thread2:

ZStreamRef.run() - invoking Deflater.end(address) with non-zero address
via the passed-in lambda.

Thread1:

setDictionary(<non-zero address from before>, b, off, len)

To fix this, you could sprinkle Reference.reachabilityFence(this) at
appropriate places in Deflater, but it is simpler to just add
synchronized modifier to ZStreamRef.run() method. There's no danger of
deadlock(s) since Cleaner ensures the run() method is invoked at most once.

The same reasoning applies to Inflater to as code is similar.

A nit (Deflater and similar to Inflater):

  187         ZStreamRef ref = new ZStreamRef(init(level,
DEFAULT_STRATEGY, nowrap),
  188                                         addr -> end(addr));

You could use a method reference there.

Regards, Peter