RFR: 8041626: [Event Request] Shutdown reason

Robin Westberg robin.westberg at oracle.com
Fri Feb 9 15:41:27 UTC 2018

Hi David,

> On 9 Feb 2018, at 05:22, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Robin,
>
>> Right, almost all the runtime changes are made in order to try to figure out what the process exit code from the launcher will eventually be. For example, the launcher returns 1 if the main thread exited with an unhandled exception, but 0 otherwise. But I actually agree that this information is probably only of marginal use (it could always be captured from wherever Java is launched if someone really wants it), so it is perhaps not worth the trouble.
>
> Yes and that particular example of launcher behaviour is an archaic throwback to C programming - where end of "main" means end of the program - IMHO. I don't think it is of interest - and certainly not worth jumping through so many hoops to make the info available.
>
>> Discussed it a bit with Erik Gahlin, and perhaps the best option here is to simply remove the status code field from the event, that would simplify things and make the code you mention above go away.
>
> That sounds good to me. :)
>
>>> It is unfortunate that you need to add beforeHalt to deal with the event mechanism itself being turned off (?) by a shutdown hook. That would seem to potentially lose a lot of event information given hooks can run in arbitrary order and execute arbitrary Java code. And essentially you end up recording the initial reason shutdown started, though potentially it could end up terminating for a different reason.
>> In this case I think it actually conveys useful information if you are trying to diagnose an unexpected shutdown. It should be useful to find the initial request of an orderly shutdown, even if something else happens during the shutdown sequence like a finalizer calling exit (in which case you could possibly end up with two shutdown events, but both may contain interesting information).
>
> Yes that is useful. But I find the need to code things the way they are, unfortunate. But given current constraints, so be it.

Okay, I’ve removed the code related to the status field, certainly makes the change a bit less intrusive.

Updated webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rwestberg/8041626/webrev.01/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rwestberg/8041626/webrev.01/>
Incremental: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rwestberg/8041626/webrev.00-01/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rwestberg/8041626/webrev.00-01/>

Best regards,
Robin