RFR: 8197812: (ref) Data race in Finalizer

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 07:47:14 UTC 2018

Hi Martin,

On 02/15/2018 06:47 AM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> Embarrassed by my failure to take runFinalizersOnExit into account, I tried
> to redo the patch to be actually correct.

I think that your patch was correct the first time too, but in view of
future removing the need for "pollFirst" from unfinalized list, the
revised patch separates this logic entirely into the to-be-removed
method so it is preferable.

>   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~martin/webrevs/jdk/Finalizer-data-race/
> even though we may succeed in making runFinalizersOnExit go away, and I'm
> not planning to submit any time soon.
> The runFinalizersOnExit case needs different mechanics for removing
> elements from "unfinalized".
> The simple invariant is that you need to run the finalizer whenever an
> element is unlinked from unfinalized.

...and the check for "already been finalized" needs to be performed only
in deregisterAndRunFinalizer as you did in new patch. Once
runAllFinalizers is removed, this check and marking code could be
removed too.

Although not strictly necessary for correctness, for the time being, it
would be nice to be consistent in marking the Finalizer object "already
finalized" in both places. Either set both next and prev to this or next
to this and prev to null.

Regards, Peter