Draft JEP: To use UTF-8 as the default charset for the Java virtual machine.

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Feb 21 13:37:26 UTC 2018

On 21/02/2018 13:19, David Lloyd wrote:
> I agree with Uwe and Remi; if the default is still changeable, the
> problem doesn't go away, it simply becomes slightly more insidious.

The proposal is to eventually get to the point that the default charset
cannot be changed. It will take several releases to get there due to the
potential compatibility impact. This draft JEP is the first step to
switch to UTF-8 by default. A first step has to allow it be changed in
order to keep some existing code/deployments working. Sorry this isn't
clear in the JEP yet, there several clarifications to this JEP that
haven't been included yet (on my list, I didn't realize it would be
discussed here this week).

-Alan