RFR Bug-pending: Enable Hotspot to Track Native Memory Usage for Direct Byte Buffers

Adam Farley8 adam.farley at uk.ibm.com
Mon Jul 16 16:03:31 UTC 2018

Hi Folks,

> Zhengyu Gu <zgu at redhat.com> wrote on 06/06/2018 01:58:18:

> From: Zhengyu Gu <zgu at redhat.com>
> To: "Thomas Stüfe" <thomas.stuefe at gmail.com>, Adam Farley8
> <adam.farley at uk.ibm.com>
> Cc: "hotspot-dev at openjdk.java.net developers" <hotspot-
> dev at openjdk.java.net>, core-libs-dev <core-libs-dev at openjdk.java.net>
> Date: 06/06/2018 01:58
> Subject: Re: RFR Bug-pending: Enable Hotspot to Track Native Memory
> Usage for Direct Byte Buffers
>
> On 06/05/2018 12:10 PM, Thomas Stüfe wrote:> On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 3:46

> PM, Adam Farley8 <adam.farley at uk.ibm.com> wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Native memory allocation for DBBs is tracked in java.nio.Bits, but
that
> >> only includes what the user thinks they are allocating.
> >>

> > Which is exactly what I would expect as a user...

A debugger poring over the values in the file may prefer total accuracy in
at
least one of the variables, so they can find out where all their memory
went in the event of a leak. Even if this variable is not accessible via
a getter method, and is only readable via a system core.

> I agree with Thomas, there is no point for a user to aware of tracking
> overhead, and the overhead only incurs when native memory tracking is
> on. As a matter of fact, it can really confuse user that values can be
> varied, depending on whether native memory tracking is on.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Zhengyu

I agree that the casual user shouldn't have to worry. This accuracy would
be
for analysis after the fact, via system cores. The standard variables can
stay
as they are. I suggest the addition of a single AtomicLong that shows an
accurate value for the sole purpose of aiding debugging.

> >> When the VM adds extra memory to the allocation amount this extra bit
is
> >> not represented in the Bits total. A cursory glance
> >> shows, minimum, that we round the requested memory quantity up to the
heap
> >> word size in the Unsafe.allocateMemory code
> >
> > which I do not understand either - why do we do this? After all,
> > normal allocations from inside hotspot do not get aligned up in size,
> > and the java doc to Unsafe allocateMemory does not state anything
> > about the size being aligned.
> >
> > In addition to questioning the align up of the user requested size, I
> > would be in favor of adding a new NMT tag for these, maybe "mtUnsafe"?
> > That would be an easy fix.
> >
> >> , and
> >> something to do with nmt_header_size in os:malloc() (os.cpp) too.
> >
> > That is mighty unspecific and also wrong. The align-up mentioned above
> > goes into the size reported by Bits; the nmt header size does not.

I believe we agree here too. My point is that, for the sake of accuracy,
we *should* have this information in Bits. This is part of the
debugger-aid
change that I am suggesting.

> >> On its own, and in small quantities, align_up(sz, HeapWordSize) isn't
that
> >> big of an issue. But when you allocate a lot of DBBs,
> >> and coupled with the nmt_header_size business, it makes the Bits
values
> >> wrong. The more DBB allocations, the more inaccurate those
> >> numbers will be.
> >
> > To be annoyingly precise, it will never be more wrong than 1:7 on
> > 64bit machines :) - if all memory requested via Unsafe.allocateMemory
> > would be of size 1 byte.

Sounds like the sort of thing I'd do. Once a stress tester, always a
stress tester. :)

> >> To get the "+X", it seems to me that the best option would be to
introduce
> >> an native method in Bits that fetches "X" directly
> >> from Hotspot, using the same code that Hotspot uses (so we'd have to
> >> abstract-out the Hotspot logic that adds X to the memory
> >> quantity). This way, anyone modifying the Hotspot logic won't risk
> >> rendering the Bits logic wrong again.
> >
> > I don't follow that.

I was trying to describe one method to enable the VM to tell Bits how much
memory will actually be reserved for a given amount of DBB. E.g.
Bits says it has a DBB 7 bytes in size, and it tells the VM. The VM