Adding new IBM extended charsets

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Thu Jul 19 07:27:37 UTC 2018

Hi Nasser,

 From openjdk's perspective It would be preferred to direct the develop
to use the charset
implementation provided by IBM, or the reliable third party that has the
appropriate knowledge,
experience and resource to support/maintain those charsets such as the
icu4j charset
project. I have been pulling the data from that huge icu-charset-data
file and implement/maintain
them based on my best knowledge, but I'm sure engineers from IBM or the
icu project probably
can do a much better job to implement/maintain/update those charsets
going forward.

As first step we can separate those IBM charsets from the jdk.charset
into a separate package
somewhere and configure them to be built into java.base and
jdk.charsets, for aix platform only.
Then we can further discuss the best way to handle/distribute those
charsets that are not needed
for the java.base module (for vm startup). As I said, it would be ideal
if we can remove them from the
openjdk repo/binaries complete and direct the developer/user to use the
icu4j charset provider
for those encodings, when needed. But given the possible compatibility
concern, we might want to
phase this work out gradually in next major release.

Thanks,
Sherman