RFR(s): 8204243: remove Thread.destroy() and Thread.stop(Throwable)

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Sun Jun 3 15:55:43 UTC 2018

On 03/06/2018 13:11, David Holmes wrote:

> Any suggestions as to how to do that in a practical and effective way?
>
> "As if done by the highly-dangerous, long-deprecated and finally
> removed Thread.stop(Throwable)"
>
> ? ;-)
>
> In all seriousness I hate to do anything that might suggest these are
> valid API's even for tools. Maybe we should deprecate them as well
> (separate RFE of course).
These date back to JPDA in JDK 1.2 (it was JVMDI at the time, pre-dates
JVM TI) and would need research to see if there are debuggers or maybe
fault injection tools are using it.

For Stuart's current effort then it will need a bit of text, maybe
borrowing old spec where the operation was specified to "stop" a thread
with an asynchronous exception. Warnings about the dangers are probably
appropriate but these are of course interfaces that developers are
unlikely to ever use directly.

-Alan