[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] COMPOUND_TEXT charset is missing on JDK11

Philip Race philip.race at oracle.com
Fri Jun 22 14:21:14 UTC 2018

The DnD & clipboard cases on such a desktop are the only possible use I
can think of
for this charset, so if it were to exist anywhere it would be in the
desktop module,
since it depends on all the X decoders that were moved there.
But since MToolkit is gone so we don't have direct need for it.
Nor does OpenJDK support an environment with a CDE/Motif desktop any more,
that ended with the end of Solaris 10 support on JDK 8.
So are not likely to be asked to paste compound text from the x clipboard ..
Therefore this would need careful consideration, as we would never use
it, and have no way to test it
and it quite likely needs some work to run on JDK 11. Not just dump + hope.
It may be better to remain in a port that needs it and can test it.

-phil.