RFR JDK-8200243: System error message is decoded as invalid encoding in Windows.

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Wed Jun 27 03:14:46 UTC 2018

Hi,

Please help review the change for JDK-8200243

issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8200243
webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sherman/8200243/webrev

This is a regression. The root cause is one of the change we put in jdk9 for
JDK-8057777 [1], which is to remove those unused vm interfaces.

The webrev [1] indicates that the changeset added a platform dependent
version of
GetLastErrorString(),  which uses utf8, to replace the original jvm
version of
JVM_GetLastErrorString() (in jni_util.c).

However the encoding of the char* interface between jvm and jdk is always
interpreted/specified as "native encoding". So if the platform's default
encoding
is NOT utf-8, it never uses  utf8. This is what we have on Windows
platform. The
fix is to use/copy-paste the "original" vm implementation in hotspot
repo for
JVM_GetLastErrorString() (from os_windows.cpp).

The fix has been verified on a Chinese version of windows. Thanks Felix!

Thanks,
Sherman