RFR: 8148188: Enhance the security libraries to record events of interest

Xuelei Fan xuelei.fan at oracle.com
Wed Jun 27 19:46:49 UTC 2018

KeyUtil.java
------------
167  public static String getKeyAlgorithm(Key key) {

I may suggest remove this method and use Key.getAlgorithm() directly.
The KeyUtil.getKeyAlgorithm() is incomplete, and may need additional
maintenance if new key algorithms are added in the future.  For example,
in JDK 11, "RSASSA-PSS" and "XDH" are added, but we really forgot that
we may need to update this file as well.

On 6/27/2018 12:14 PM, Seán Coffey wrote:

> On 27/06/2018 19:57, Xuelei Fan wrote:
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> I may reply in several replies.
>>
>> PKIXMasterCertPathValidator.java
>> --------------------------------
>> +  CertChainEvent cce = new CertChainEvent();
>> +  if(cce.isEnabled() || EventHelper.loggingSecurity()) {
>> +      String c = reversedCertList.stream()
>> +                  .map(x -> x.getSerialNumber().toString(16))
>> +                        .collect(Collectors.joining(", "));
>> +     EventHelper.commitCertChainEvent(cce, c);
>> +   }
>>
>> No matter the event or the JFR mechanism is enabled or not, the above
>> code will create a new instance.  Is the return value of
>> cce.isEnabled() dynamically changed or static?
> This is a requirement from the JFR framework. All their event.isEnabled
> calls are instance methods and follow a similar pattern. The JFR team
> assure me that the JIT can optimize away such calls.
Got it.

>> Is there a need to support both logging and JFR?  I'm new to record
>> events.  I did not get the point to use both.
> I was initially hoping to concentrate on just JFR events but I got
> strong feedback to also consider use of Logger (esp. in cases where the
> jdk.jfr module is not available)

There are three logging mechanisms: JFR, record event log and the
component debugging log.  It is a little bit overloaded to me.  If
jdk.jfr is not available, the existing component debugging log may be
used instead.  I think you must have weight this decision in the past,
so I will accept your decision if you want to keep it.

Thanks,
Xuelei