[RFR] 8160768: Add capability to custom resolve host/domain names within the default JDNI LDAP provider

Rob McKenna rob.mckenna at oracle.com
Tue Nov 6 15:52:03 UTC 2018

Thanks folks,

Vyom, I've updated service to be volatile.

On 30/10/18 14:25, Daniel Fuchs wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> LdapCtxFactory.java
>
>  187             for (String u : r.getEndpoints()) {
>  188                 try {
>  189                     ctx = getLdapCtxFromUrl(
>  190                             r.getDomainName(), new LdapURL(u), env);
>  191                 } catch (NamingException e) {
>  192                     // try the next element
>  193                     lastException = e;
>  194                 }
>  195             }
>
> is a break statement missing after line 190?
>
> If not then can you add a comment explaining why only the last
> context is retained (and returned?)
>
> Alternatively, if a break is indeed missing, these three lines
> could be moved into the for loop above:
>
>  206             // Record the URL that created the context
>  207             ctx.setProviderUrl(url);
>  208             return ctx;
>
> and maybe lines 206-207 could be moved into the
> getLdapCtxFromUrl() method?

Yes, you're right, we should return the first successful result.

> LdapDnsProviderService.java:
>
> Why is this class non final? If it can be made final then
> the protected methods should probably become package.

Good point, fixed.

> LdapDnsProvider.java:
>
> It is strange to see new APIs with Hashtable in the method
> signature. I understand that our implementation will need
> an Hashtable at some point to call javax.naming.spi.NamingProvider,
> but how likely is it that a clean room implementation of
> a LdapDnsProvider will need to do that?
>
> Maybe we could have Map<?,?> in the signature instead - and
> leave the burden to our implementation - somewhere in ServiceLocator,
> to adapt back to Hashtable where it needs to?

So I've altered the signature of the method to take a Map<?, ?> as
proposed. I've added a getLdapService(String domainName, Map<?,?> environment)
method to ServiceLocator which delegates to the existing method after
conversion. Hopefully this addresses your concerns.

I'll update the CSR accordingly once this review is complete.

    -Rob