RFR: JDK-8212780: JEP 343: Packaging Tool Implementation

Sverre Moe sverre.moe at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 13:12:31 UTC 2018

I have been using the jpackager that Johan Vos backported for OpenJDK 11.
For this I have some points of improvement I would like to mention.

1)
The control file for debian package does not set correct description

--name test
--description This is a Test Application

/tmp/jdk.packager607148779833718376/linux/control
Package: test

The RPM gets it correctly
Summary     : test
Description :
This is a Test Application

2)
Category is not set on either DEB or RPM
  --category
          Category or group of the application.
--category "Some/Category/Application"
Group: Unspecified
Section: unknown

3)
The jpackager command line should have the flag --release in addition to
--version. The only way to set a different release than "1" is to supply a
custom spec file for RPM and control file for DEB.
package/linux/test.spec
Version: 1.0.0
Release: RC1
package/linux/control