RFR: JDK-8212780: JEP 343: Packaging Tool Implementation

Philip Race philip.race at oracle.com
Mon Nov 12 21:54:02 UTC 2018

On 11/12/18, 1:45 PM, Andy Herrick wrote:

> On 11/12/2018 3:22 PM, Philip Race wrote:
>> Adding build-dev back ..
>>
>> I noticed that module jdk.jpackager.runtime requires java.desktop on
>> all platforms
>>
>> So far as I can tell this is for a Mac-only support for receiving and
>> handling file open events. Probably it only makes sense or gets used
>> when the API is used from a running desktop application.
>>
>> I might ask if we need this at all, but I definitely think it should
>> not be required on all platforms if needed only for Mac even if
>> we might want it on windows in a future version.
>>
>> Do we not envisage cases where you need the runtime API for
>> some kind of daemon service for which there should be a singleton ?
>> Do you really want to force the desktop module to be dragged along
>> in such a case ?
>>
>> I think we should remove this dependency even if it means losing a
>> MacOS feature at least for now.
>
> 1.) we could remove that functionality (I don't even really understand
> the use case for it), and remove the two arg registerSingleInstance
> method from the public interface, and remove the requires statement in
> module-info.java.

I was thinking remove it as above since since even the javadoc for that
method
feels obliged to say it is just for macos :-

   95     /**
   96      * Registers {@code SingleInstanceListener} for current process.
   97      * If the {@code SingleInstanceListener} object is already registered, or
   98      * {@code slistener} is {@code null}, then the registration is skipped.
   99      *
  100      * @param slistener the listener to handle the single instance behaviour.
  101      * @param setFileHandler if {@code true}, the listener is notified when the
  102      *         application is asked to open a list of files. If OS is not MacOS,
  103      *         the parameter is ignored.
  104      */

yuck. If such optional functionality is needed it needs to be done via
adding a "doesPlatformSupportFileHandler() method rather than saying the above.

-phil.