RFR - JDK-8203442 String::transform (Code Review)

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Nov 14 14:18:54 UTC 2018

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 15:44, Brian Goetz <brian.goetz at oracle.com> wrote:
> Yes, we know :)  But we don’t have any current plans to do that, nor use-site extension methods, nor does it seem likely to come to the top of the language priority list very soon.  So its not a choice between |> and .transform(); it’s a choice between transform() and nothing.  Picking transform() seems pretty good here.
>
> Stephen raised the issue of a “broader context”; indeed, the intention of adding a transform() method here was that it would be feasible to add to other types for which it was suitable.  String is an obvious candidate for “do it first”, but this is within a broader context.

I'd be more comforted if there was a commitment to add the method to
Stream and Optional in Java 12 or 13.

I also agree with Remi that `transform()` is a poor name for Stream,
and thus it is a poor name for String. I doubt there is a perfect
name, process() or apply() seem like good candidates.

Stephen