RFR: 8148188: Enhance the security libraries to record events of interest

Seán Coffey sean.coffey at oracle.com
Wed Nov 14 21:09:55 UTC 2018

Hi Sean,

comments inline..

On 13/11/2018 18:53, Sean Mullan wrote:
> Looking good, a couple of comments/questions:
>
> * src/java.base/share/classes/java/security/Security.java
>
> The isJdkSecurityProperty method could return false positives, for
> example there may be a non-JDK property starting with "security.". I
> was thinking it would be better to put all the JDK property names in a
> HashSet which is populated by the static initialize() method, and only
> if event logging is enabled. Then setProperty can just check if the
> property name is in this set.
after further discussion, we've decided to log all properties operated
on via Security.setProperty(String, String). It think it makes sense.
The contents of a JFR recording should always be treated as sensitive.
Keep in mind also that these new JFR Events will be off by default.

> * src/java.base/share/classes/sun/security/x509/X509CertImpl.java
Good points here. I've taken on board your suggestion to move this code
logic to the sun/security/provider/X509Factory.java class as per your
later email suggestion.

> 45         l.addExpected("SunJSSE Test Serivce");
>
> Is that a typo? "Serivce"

That's a typo in the test certificate details. We should fix it up via
another bug record.

> * test/jdk/jdk/security/logging/TestX509ValidationLog.java
>
> 54: remove blank line
>
> * test/lib/jdk/test/lib/security/SSLSocketTest.java
>
> Why is this file included? It looks like a duplicate of
> SSLSocketTemplate.
Yes - it's almost identical to SSLSocketTemplate except that
SSLSocketTemplate doesn't belong to a package. I had a hard time
incorporating its use into the jtreg tests via the @lib syntax. I think
it's best if we open another JBS issue to migrate other uses of
SSLSocketTemplate to jdk.test.lib.security.SSLSocketTemplate

I've cleaned up the various typo/syntax issues that you've highlighted also.
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~coffeys/webrev.8148188.v9/webrev/index.html

regards,
Sean.