RFC: JEP JDK-8208089: Implement C++14 Language Features

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Nov 19 06:31:36 UTC 2018

Hi Kim,

On 16/11/2018 12:31 pm, Kim Barrett wrote:
>> On Oct 3, 2018, at 3:13 PM, Kim Barrett <kim.barrett at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've submitted a JEP for
>>
>> (1) enabling the use of C++14 Language Features when building the JDK,
>>
>> (2) define a process for deciding and documenting which new features
>> can be used or are forbidden in HotSpot code,
>>
>> (3) provide an initial list of permitted and forbidden new features.

> While there has been some discussion of this JEP here, so far only Mikael has officially
> reviewed or endorsed it.

I added myself as a Reviewer.

> Regarding the timing of this JEP, integration in time for JDK 12 seems unlikely.

This doesn't strike me as a JEP that actually integrates anything. It
wants to establish a process by which future C++ features are accepted
for use with hotspot. That's just documentation on the OpenJDK wiki as
far as I can see. The actual set of features and any "vote" on them can
happen any time after the JEP is approved. Any actual use of those
features can follow any time after that.

I think it is important that all the port owners buy into this.

Thanks,
David