Should HashMap::computeIfAbsent be considered a "structural modification" for an existing key?

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 16:32:11 UTC 2018

On 19/11/2018 16:01, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> As the topic asks, should calling computeIfAbsent on a HashMap with
> an existing key be a structural modification?

I have to ask the obvious: Why does the question matter?

Are you just dipping a toe into the cold and briny realm of language
lawyers (of his bones are quarrels made) or is there a reason why being
a 'structural modification' needs to be precisely determined in this
case (perhaps, in all cases).

regards,

Andrew Dinn