CSR for posix_spawn on JDK 12

Roger Riggs Roger.Riggs at oracle.com
Fri Nov 30 20:21:38 UTC 2018

Hi Thomas,

On 11/30/2018 02:06 PM, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> I updated the CSR according to your feedback. I'm a bit at a loss
> about the specification though. How should I specify the behavior of
> the API without describing the implementation?
What you wrote is fine. It does need to mention posix_spawn by name,
as that is the OS function being used.

The notes about the behavior of libc, fit better as an explanation
in the description of the Solution than in the Specification section.

> Also, since this patch only extends an existing implementation to
> Linux, I would have thought there are there technical notes in place
> describing POSIX_SPAWN on other platforms, which I would have just
> refered to. I searched but could not really find anything.
Nope, that's why it was a debugging tool for Martin,
not a documented implementation feature.

I'm not sure what the proper plural of Unix's is but Unices looks odd.
Perhaps avoid the issue and just say Unix platforms.

Thanks, Roger