RFR 8098798: Thread.join(ms) on Linux still affected by changes to the time-of-day clock

Roger Riggs Roger.Riggs at Oracle.com
Tue Sep 4 19:02:13 UTC 2018

Hi Martin, Ivan,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Update in place:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rriggs/webrev-thread-early-8098798/

On 8/29/2018 5:36 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> Thanks for taking this on.
> Wait loops are notoriously hard to get right...
>
> One sharp corner is that wait(0) waits forever, and TimeUnit
> conversion truncates.  You can probably avoid those problems via
> TimeUnit.timedWait.

Not trivial since a long cannot hold the combined time of millis(long)
and nanos (long) in a TimeUnit(Nanos)
and the cumulative wait time needs to be measured by System.nanoTime().

> In code like this in j.u.c. we try to optimize away the call to
> nanoTime when waiting is not necessary, by using a special
> "uninitialized" initial value for remaining nanos, e.g. in
> FutureTask.awaitDone
>
>         long startTime = 0L;    // Special value 0L means not yet parked
ok

> (I prefer the variable name "startTime")
ok

> (j.u.c. code can also be improved)
>
> (there's a pre-existing buglet - we should probably check for overflow
> when millis = MAX_VALUE and nanos > 0 (sigh))
ok,

> (I would reorder clauses to first check the common case millis > 0,
> then millis == 0, last the error case millis < 0)
ok

> (it's a bad API that millis < 0 is an error)
too late for a behavior change though I suppose its in the direction of
not getting error instead of the opposite....

An Observation:

Join(ms) and join(ms, ns) might wait a bit longer than strictly
necessary because the bottom out in Object.wait(ms).
It might be better if both ended up calling Object.wait(ms, ns).
But since Object.wait(ms,ns) rounds up to Object.wait(ms) that won't
make a difference and to take advantage
of a finer clock resolution would mean native/vm changes to support
object.wait(ms, ns).

I'm inclined to address only the immediate issues raised in the early
return and the clock dependency now.

(BTW, I found no tests for Thread.sleep or .join.)

Thanks, Roger