RFR(S) 8190737: use unicode version of the canonicalize() function to handle long path on windows

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Tue Sep 11 00:05:14 UTC 2018

On 9/10/18, 11:42 AM, Calvin Cheung wrote:
> bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8190737
>
> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ccheung/8190737/webrev.00/
>
> Please review this change for handling long path specified in the
> -Xbootclasspath/a on windows.
>
> Highlight of changes:
> - canonicalize_md.c
>     it makes use of the unicode version of canonicalize
> (wcanonicalize) if the original path is >= MAX_PATH.
So we are converting mb->wc->mb in wcanonicalize (when > max_path), and
then feed the
resulting path into ZFILE_Open, in which we again do mb->wc-> + prefix
-> CreateFileW(...)?

Maybe it's time to consider a "wchar" interface between vm and
libraries. Maybe it's fine here given we
are only do this for > max_path case?

Alan, now reading the win version canonicalize(...), remind me what's
the real purpose of doing
FindFirstFile/FindClose() here? the API appears to suggest it is used to
find the first match if there
is/are wildcards but we actually have checked/rejected the wildcards at
the very beginning ? To
get the "real name" for case?

> - zip_util.c
>     it uses the unicode version of CreateFile (CreateFileW) if the
> original path is >= MAX_PATH.
>
> - io_util_md.c
>     Since zip_util.c (libzip) calls the getPrefixed() function in
> canonicalize_md.c (libjava), the getPrefixed() function needs to be
> exported.

I kinda remembered that we once wanted to avoid export an variant of
winFileHandleOpen() from
libjava to libzip ... in this case the alternative is to simply
copy/paste the getPrefix into libzip ...
but I don't remember the exact concern back then.

-Sherman