8207690: Parsing API for classpath and similar path strings

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Tue Sep 11 11:50:49 UTC 2018

> On 11 Sep 2018, at 10:24, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/09/2018 21:55, Roger Riggs wrote:
>> Nope! there's quoting on Windows that gets short changed with that work around.
>>
>> Other opinions?, Suggestions?
> One suggestion is reduce this down to one method that returns a stream rather than a collection. It could work lazily if you want. Something like:
>
>   Stream<String> splitSearchPath(String input)

I agree with Alan, this seems like the lowest-order primitive.

I refreshed my memory of search path splitting from the `jmod` tool,
where such an API would be useful ( if we weren’t using joptsimple ).
There are two separate use cases, ClassPathConverter, and
DirPathConverter ( in JmodTask ), both of which resolve each String
path value against the current working directory, and do some
context specific validation.

-Chris.