ByteArrayOutputStream should not have a new writeBytes method in Java

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Fri Sep 28 11:13:44 UTC 2018

On 28/09/2018 05:51, Tagir Valeev wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I can volunteer doing this if OpenJDK community is really interested.
> I've launched the inspection over all java.* and jdk.* modules and
> found 4064 warnings.
> As an example, I converted all C-style array declarations in java.base
> module (660 warnings in 168 files). Here's the webrev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tvaleev/patches/array_decl_java_base/
>
> To me it's easier to review the whole patch rather than click on every file:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tvaleev/patches/array_decl_java_base/jdk.patch
>
> I checked the result by eyes thoroughly and did not find anything
> wrong. So if you're interested I can prepare a patch which covers any
> full JDK sources or any subset of it.
> The only questions are which subset should be processed and should I
> also update copyrights for changed files (doing this automatically
> could be more risky unless there's
> already well-tested utility to do this).

Good to see this. Updating the copyright dates is annoying but if you
can do that then it would be good. There is a script to do a bulk update
that I think is better for cases like this but it doesn't seem to be run
very often these days.

As regards doing the entire source base then I think that would be good.
Due to the complexity of testing, changes to the java.desktop module are
pushed to jdk/client repo rather than jdk/jdk so if it's not too awkward
then it might be helper if the patch for java.desktop were a separate
change that gets pushed to jdk/client rather than jdk/jdk.

-Alan