RFR: 8224974: Implement JEP 352

Dmitry Chuyko dmitry.chuyko at bell-sw.com
Tue Aug 6 14:50:18 UTC 2019

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for previous detailed explanations, and great, there are now
checks for exceptions in webrev.11. Let me add just a few comments about
that.

On 8/1/19 12:49 PM, Andrew Dinn wrote:
> Hello Dmitry,
>
> On 01/08/2019 05:09, Dmitry Chuyko wrote:
>> Just a small comment about the tests. As you can see, some of tests in
>> jdk/java/nio/channels/FileChannel check various modes, arguments, and
>> expected exceptions. E.g. see MapTest, Mode and Args.
>>
>> I noticed that in your changes for the new map mode there are new
>> exceptions thrown in different situations. For example, when the
>> required mode is not supported, or it does not fit. In particular, this
>> should happen correctly on systems that do not support nvram. Have you
>> considered the possibility of extending or adding tests for this behavior?
> I agree that these failure cases need better test coverage and
> automation. However, that is not to say they have not been tested. All
> current success and failure cases can be exercised by the current mmap
> test (PmemTest) if run in the correct circumstance. Unfortunately,
> automatic testing is not straightforward.

New Unsafe.writebackMemory()/checkWritebackMemory()/checkWritebackEnabled() @throws RuntimeException "if memory writeback is not supported...". There is no test that check this behavior of Unsafe class while it seems to be relatively simple as inner check actually operates with a constant value.

New MapFail test succeeds if proper IOException or any UnsupportedOperationException was caught but it aren't those situations actually 2 different ones that require distinct checks? If you say that is the situation when results depend on Linux version, it makes sense at least to put a comment in the test because it's really not trivial.

Can PmemTest check IOException with message "map with mode MAP_SYNC unsupported" as a part of expected behavior, not just showing a test failure?

-Dmitry