RFR JDK-8193325: StackFrameInfo::getByteCodeIndex returns wrong value if bci > 32767

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Tue Aug 13 15:48:07 UTC 2019

Peter, Aleksey,

On 8/13/19 2:17 AM, Peter Levart wrote:
> What are you trying to achieve with @Stable annotation?

I chose the path of using it for at least documentation purpose that it
is initialized once after <init> :)  This field is not final as it's
modified by the VM but it's a stable variable that can benefit from JIT
optimization while it's unlikely a hot path with the current usage.

> If you were hoping for eventual optimization by JIT (i.e. constant
> folding) then this would only be effective if JIT could prove that the
> reference to the StackFrameInfo instance can also be constant folded.
> This is very unlikely considering the use cases of StackFrameInfo
> objects (results returned by StackWalker API). There are currently no
> other optimizations that I know of that would pertain to @Stable
> annotation.
>
> If you were hoping to achieve some kind of "safer" publication of
> StackFrameInfo instances (like for example when the fields are final
> and initialized in the constructor) then @Stable is not a replacement
> for final. Even if you declared bci as final, its effective value is
> assigned in the VM after constructor is finished. So the JMM rules for
> final fields can not apply here. So it is my belief that neither
> placing @Stable nor final on the bci has any desirable effect. I would
> just leave it as plain instance field.

There is no existing way to annotate a stable variable besides
comments.  It's fair to wait until we have data to show performance
benefit to add @Stable.   None of the choices (int, final int, @Stable
int) is ideal.   I'll drop @Stable in webrev.04 and move on if that's
okay with you.

> I do like the zero default value of it and corresponding +/-1 offset
> computations in the getter and initialization code. If there is a data
> race when publishing StackFrameInfo objects unsafely to other threads,
> let there be only two values that are observable instead of three. BTW
> the unsafe publication applies not only to bci value but to the whole
> instance referenced by the 'memberName' field. The field is final and
> initialized in the constructor, but the MemberName instance is
> modified afterwards...

True.

> So let's not pretend publishing StackFrameInfo via data race is safe
> (like for example String objects). And I think it is not critical to
> be safe - no security decisions are being made on the StackFrameInfo
> objects' content, right?

Right.

Mandy