RFR 8207814: (proxy) upgrade the proxy class generator

Roger Riggs Roger.Riggs at oracle.com
Mon Aug 19 15:21:03 UTC 2019

Hi Mandy,

On 8/16/19 8:59 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> Thanks for doing this.  Replacing ancient bytecode generators makes
> it much easier to support new features like value types.
>
> The diff of ProxyGenerator is not quite right (might be due to
> the rename?) as some code are unchanged but shown as modified.
Since so much of the file has changed, I took the opportunity to reorder
some of the methods and fields to more closely match current conventions.

> "jdk.proxy.ProxyGenerator.saveGeneratedFiles" is an existing property.
> Perhaps a better name for "jdk.proxy.proxy_15" would be
> "jdk.proxy.ProxyGenerator.useASM" with default true.
>
> Perhaps renaming ProxyGenerator_15 to LegacyProxyGenerator?
Since the property and old implementation should be removed
(and as soon as the risk is evaluated) it made more sense to name
the implementation with the version number of the class files (JDK
version 1.5) it produces.

> The combo test is great that exercises different combinations.
> It validates the interfaces that the proxy class implements and
> the exception types in the methods of the proxy class.
>
> I checked the existing test/jdk/java/lang/reflect/Proxy tests.
> It looks like there is no proxy test with an invocation handler
> that throws checked exceptions and also undeclared exceptions.
> It'd be good if you can add that as a sanity test.
This does seem to be a legacy gap in the testing.
I'll write a test.

Thanks, Roger