RFR JDK-8234049: Implementation of Memory Access API (Incubator)

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Thu Dec 5 23:27:18 UTC 2019

On 05/12/2019 22:39, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> Awesome work, Maurizio!
>
> Regarding hotspot changes:
>
>> * ciField.cpp - this one is to trust final fields in the foreign
>> memory access implementation (otherwise VM doesn't trust memory
>> segment bounds)
>
> New packages aren't part of java.base. Considering the implementation
> resides in an incubator module, is it enough to consider them as
> trusted and well-known to the JVM?
This gives same performance as with -XX:+TrustFinalNonStaticFields - if
we remove these changes, then memory segment bounds are never inlined.
I'm happy to change this if you have other suggestions on how to get
there, of course (I can run some benchmarks w/ and w/o and post some
numbers if that helps).

>> * library_call.cpp - this one is a JIT compiler change to treat
>> Thread.currentThread() as a well-known constant - which helps a lot
>> in the confinement checks (thanks Vlad!)
>
> FTR it is tracked by JDK-8235143 [1] and the patch is under review [2].

Should I remove this from the patch then?

Thanks
Maurizio