[12] RFR: 8215303: Allowing additional currency code points from later Unicode updates

naoto.sato at oracle.com naoto.sato at oracle.com
Fri Jan 4 17:10:38 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,

Yes, it will affect the behavior of those methods. This has been
discussed within the JLS folks, and their understanding was that the
risk is minimal and OK to proceed. I was not involved in the discussion,
but here are the reasons I can think of.

- The Currency Symbols range is very limited (U+20A0-U+20CF)
- The change is to allow the code point, not the way around, so existing
identifiers are guaranteed to work.
- Apart from this CSR, this kind of behavior change is common when a
Unicode upgrade is done.

Naoto