RFR: JDK-8215510: j.l.c.ClassDesc is accepting descriptors not allowed by the spec

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Wed Jan 9 22:36:51 UTC 2019

On Jan 9, 2019, at 2:04 PM, John Rose <john.r.rose at oracle.com> wrote:

> you might consider using
> a little combinatorial code to generate bad and good class
> names

P.S. To motivate this suggestion a bit more:  I found no
problem with your manually-written test vectors of bad
and good names, but I also found it difficult to be confident
that they covered the ground adequately.  Combinatorial
logic for generating test vectors is often overkill, but it is
easier to be confident about.  That in turn makes us more
confident that the actual code itself is free of bugs.

Also, when I use such tactics in my own test development,
I often find more bugs in my code, than with my first cut
tests, which are small ad hoc test vectors.  I won't promise
the same for you, but it's a possibility.