8212620: Provide a mechansim to allow a class/method to request filtering from the stack trace

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Thu Jan 10 21:59:42 UTC 2019

On 1/10/19 11:30 AM, Rob Spoor wrote:
> I had an idea that can possibly help solve three issues:
> * 8212620
> Provide a mechansim to allow a class/method to request filtering from
> the stack trace

This RFE is not just about stack trace format and a generic stack trace
printer has no knowledge if a stack frame is implementation-specific. A
library developer may want certain classes or methods to hide from the
user (eliminating the implementation details) and remove noise from the
stack trace.

One idea is some kind of annotation that a library developer can tag the
methods to be hidden from stack trace by default.

So this proposal does not address the use case of 8212620.

> * 8211152
> Improve unclear and incomplete Exception stack trace
> * 6507809
> "Caused by" notation for stack traces unnecessarily hard to read

I didn't spend time on this.  The only thing I would say about these 2
RFEs is that they both propose to change the current stack trace format
that will likely break tools parsing the output.   Keeping the default
format unmodified and allowing to plugin a custom formatter is one
option to consider.

Mandy