[RFR]: Per thread IO statistics in JFR

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu Jan 17 08:00:07 UTC 2019

On 17/01/2019 07:23, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
> :
>
> Do you object against keeping these counters (which basically boils
> down to Thread::current->stat_structure->counter++)? Or do you even
> object against making upcalls into the jvm? Note that, if deemed
> necessary, we could omit updating the counters unless JFR or our
> extended thread dumps are activated (which are the consumers of the
> counters).
>
> In any case, I would have assumed the costs for upcall + counter
> update to be insignificant compared to the IO calls. We should of
> course measure that.
>
> If you generally object upcalls into the libjvm for
> statistical/monitoring reasons, this would make matters on a number of
> fronts more complicated. For instance, it was discussed extending NMT
> coverage to the JDK - which is already in part reality at
> Unsafe.AllocateMemory - and this would have to be done with upcalls too.

There are many issues here that will need write-up and discussion, maybe
a JEP if discussions converge on a proposal to bring into the main line
as this is a significant change with implications for many areas of the
platform. It also potentially conflicts in direction with some of the
other projects in progress (particularly with Loom trying to re-imagine
threads, do you really want to collect I/O stats on a per thread basis
in the future???).

As regards the points to instrument then I think we have to assume that
much of the native code that is targeted by the current webrev will go
away or change significantly in the future. We've been on that path for
some time, e.g. the zip area or the prototype to replace the SocketImpl
used for classic networking that eliminates a lot of the native code
touched in that area by the webrev. Once Panama is further along then I
assume we will want to make use of it in the core libraries and at least
initially replace the JNI methods that just wrap syscalls today, and
longer term more significant refactoring. My point is that instrumenting
native methods may not be the right approach, instead maybe we should be
look at instrumenting the I/O paths at the java level as that will
likely play better with the VM. There is some support for collecting I/O
stats in JFR today and maybe someone working in that area can explain
that a bit more and what the issues are.

It's impossible to tell from the mail with the webrev what has been
explored and not explored. It feels like early stages in a much large
project that will need a write up of prototypes before a direction can
be proposed.

-Alan