jpackage OS X Classes directory

Michael Hall mik3hall at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 15:38:25 UTC 2019

> On Jan 19, 2019, at 9:16 AM, Scott Palmer <swpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don’t see the need. Can’t you just include whatever files you want in the application image?
>
> Scott
>
>> On Jan 19, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Michael Hall <mik3hall at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Going back to old legacy application building code on OS X the original OS X port project came up with AppBundler. That had included a feature where a Classes directory was included in <App>/Contents/Java/Classes. This directory was also automatically added into classpath. I found it convenient for adding application specific resources like property files. I’m not sure I ever saw anyone else mention using it.
>>
>> I am currently not finding those files in testing my jpackage app so I assume that is no longer supported? It was copied when I pointed my jpackage input directory to my old application’s Java directory but I am guessing it is no longer in class path. I suppose just jar’ing the resources into a file in the Java directory would be an easy enough fix, although to me maybe slightly less convenient.
>>
>> Is this, in fact, no longer supported? Is there any chance some similar feature might be added?

There may be no need. At this point I would guess probably not.

It was within the application image though…

Normal jars go to <app>/Contents/Java

AppBundler included the directory.

<app>/Contents/Java/Classes
which was also automatically added to classpath. You could add property files, html editor kit css files, scripts or whatever, and classloader load them. Since I was a little used to digging into the app’s I found it convenient to use. Again, remembering that for a lot of purposes an OS X application bundle can be treated a lot like a plain old directory itself.