possible problem with JNI GetStringUTFChars

Alan Snyder javalists at cbfiddle.com
Fri Jan 25 17:29:57 UTC 2019

My question was not about why it does what it does, but why it still does that. Is there a valid use of this primitive that depends upon it returning something other than true UTF-8?

It may not have been an issue to you, but it was to me when I discovered my program could not handle certain file names. I’ll bet I’m not the last person to assume that a primitive named GetStringUTFChars returns UTF.

I have fixed my code, so its not an issue for me any more, but it seems like an unnecessary tarpit awaiting the unwary.

Just my 2c.

  Alan